You’re planning your trip to Nantucket Island and you’re not sure where to begin, here are a few of our most favorite things to do on island. Even after living here for 10+ years, these are some of the classics that will never get old! We will also put together a day-trip list soon so check back for that version as well.
- Day trip to Great Point Lighthouse – This is a must! Rent a Jeep or borrow a friend’s 4 wheel drive car and head out to Great Point for an afternoon on the water. Bring a picnic and/or your fishing rod and you might want to plan to stay until sunset because you won’t regret it!
- Dinner at Millie’s – It’s just one of those must-do things! Millie’s tacos and a Margarita or Madaket Mystery before a stroll down to the beach to watch the sun go down will make for a lasting island memory.
- Beach day and lunch at Surfside – Pack up the car and all of your beach gear and head to Surfside early to get a prime spot. Surfside Beach offers restrooms and food! You’ll have everything you need in one spot so plan for the most chill day and don’t forget a beach umbrella!
- Sconset Bluff Walk – Driving out to Sconset for a stroll around the iconic and quaint little town is a must. If you’re up for a walk after a long night at the Box, take Front Street and start your journey down the footpath that leads you through oceanfront backyards. It’s a fun one and there are a few public paths down to the beach if you want to get a little closer to the water.
- Sunset Picnic at Steps Beach – This is a personal favorite and definitely one of our top 10 things to do in Nantucket! We have brought pizza, fruit platters and even full lobster dinners down to Steps to watch the sun go down over the water. On a calm night, you might even get a little nap in after you feast. It’s one of the most peaceful spots on island. Be sure to bring a trash bag for your scraps – the seagulls will attack the first change they get! Sayle’s is our favorite place to get a lobster bake to-go!
- Morning shopping trip around town – Looking for a few gifts to bring home with you? A stroll through town is the perfect chance to get a new outfit, a hat, a gift or a quick and delicious bite to eat. We usually tell our guests to carve out some time in the morning or at the end of their trip for a downtown adventure.
- After-dinner ice cream at Juice Bar – Juice Bar….have you been? The answer is most likely YES, but if not, it’s a place you simply NEED to add to your list. The line will almost always be long, but the wait will be worth it. You can watch the staff make your homemade waffle cones through the windows as you wait and the smell will make your mouth start to water. My go-to is a coffee sundae with whipped cream and hot fudge. Jon and Poppy both go for the black raspberry and Willow loves the cookie dough. Enjoy!
- Half or Full Day Boat Day with Island Boat Rental – We finally did this last summer and we couldn’t believe we waited so long! It was an absolute highlight of the summer for us. We rented a a 24-foot Boston Whaler and took it around the island on a gorgeous July day. We parked for a bit, hopped in the water for a swim, played music, had some snacks and made a ton of memories! I would highly recommend Island Boat Rental – they made the process so easy! You can use code: rebecca at check out for 15% off your rental!
- Tour the Nantucket Whaling Museum – If you’re anything like me, you might think visiting a museum would be boring, but the Nantucket Whaling Museum is anything but boring. I’ve learned more about the island at the museum than from any other book I’ve read or person I’ve talked to. They are always adding new exhibits and the whale skeleton alone that hangs in the center of the museum is worth making a stop.
- Cocktails and/or dinner at Galley Beach – You’re sunkissed from your time on the island and you’re ready to put on your dressy outfit and get a drink while you watch the sun go down – maybe it’s one of your final nights on island – Galley Beach is a must. The outdoor portion of the restaurant is set up on the sand and you couldn’t ask for a more beautiful backdrop as you share an appetizer and enjoy your cocktail while making your plans to come back for your next visit. Definitely make a reservation as early as possible – they go quick!
There is SO much more to do on the island, but these are just a few of our personal favorites. We’ll be sharing more soon. Feel free to reach out with any questions. We’re always here to help or offer advice. Have the most wonderful time! Nantucket is quite the magical place.